It is well known that macOS High Sierra introduced APFS as the filesystem standard. However, some users are experiencing an error when trying to create a boot volume using Disk Utility after upgrading to OS X 10.13.2 or later: “The operation could not be completed because it requires an HFS+ journaled file system which cannot be found.”
Topics: How To Fix The Cannot Create A Boot Volume For APFS Install Issue In MacOS
The “how to fix could not create a preboot volume for apfs install” is an issue that has been present for a while. The issue can be easily fixed by following the steps in the article.
The “Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install” error usually occurs when the user is trying to format their Mac and install the High Sierra on it. If that is the case with you, don’t worry as you have come to the right place. In this article, we have listed all the different reasons that might be triggering this issue and have also listed the solutions that you can apply to completely fix them.Could not Create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install
Make sure to go through the reasons why this error occurs on your computer, and then begin executing the procedures provided below to thoroughly resolve the problem.
What is the reason for the error “Could not create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install”?
After dealing with this problem for a few of our customers, we came to the conclusion that the following must be the most important causes for it to occur.
- Wrong Format: In most situations, the problem arises because the hard disk on which the OS is being installed is formatted incorrectly. To repair the “Could not Create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install” problem on your computer, we propose using the steps below to alter the format of your HDD.
- Wrong Installation Technique: It’s possible that you’re installing the OS using a method that isn’t working for you; if that’s the case, try installing it from a bootable USB and see if that resolves the “Could not Create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install” problem.
We can now start applying the remedies for this problem now that you’ve been led through the most of the causes behind it.
Automatically Resolve PC Problems
If you want to have your PC problems instantly corrected as well as diagnose, list, and correct any registry flaws, we suggest utilizing the Restoro Repair Tool, which can handle all of this with just one click. Trustpilot has given it a 5-star rating, so you don’t have to be concerned.
Fixing the Catalina: Could Not Create a Preboot Volume for APFS Install problem:
1 tinker with the APFS format
Because this error is caused by the APFS format on the hard disk, changing the format back to macOS Extended may remedy the problem. To do so, follow the steps below:
BEFORE PROCEEDING, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR DATA.
- To boot into Mac Recovery Mode, restart your Mac device and simultaneously press the “Command + R” keys until the Apple logo displays.
- Now you’ll observe that the macOS Utilities window will appear in front of you. From there, select the option Disk Utility located at the bottom of the list.Choose Disk Utility Option
- In the left side pane, choose the “Macintosh HD” option. The major cause for this mistake is that you should see the APFS Volume + APFS written under Macintosh HD.
- On the upper center side of the window, click the “Erase” option. A pop-up notice will display, and you must choose the Delete option to fully erase the disk.
- Once the disk has been entirely deleted, choose “Done” and shut down your computer.
- Wait for your computer to fully shut down. Now, concurrently press the power button and the “Command + Option + R” keys until you see the message “Starting Internet Recovery.” This might take some time.”
- In the macOS Utilities window, go back to the Disk Utility option.
- Select the option “Macintosh HD” in the left side pane and click on the Volume (-) option (located beside the View tab). A pop-up window will appear, find the “Delete” option and click on it.Choose Macintosh HD
- Choose the option “See All Devices” under the “View” tab. Select your primary hard disk and then click the “Partition” option in the window’s upper center section.
- In front of you, a new window will emerge. Name the new partition Macintosh HD, choose “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” as the format, and “GUID partition table” as the scheme if required, then click the “Apply” button. A pop-up window will open; choose “Partition” and then “Done” after the operation is finished.
- Finally, exit the Disk Utility window and click “Reinstall macOS” to install the macOS again.Selecting the “Reinstall macOS” option
- Now, during the reinstallation process, follow the on-screen instructions, and after a successful installation, you should be able to address the could not create a preboot volume for apfs install catalina problem.
Solution 2: Modify the APFS File System (Alternative Method)
This issue may be caused by a conflict in the APFS hard disk format. You may restore APFS by following the steps outlined below:
- To begin, switch your computer “OFF” and wait until all of the power capacitors have been depleted. After a few minutes, restart your PC by pressing the “Power” button and concurrently pressing the “Command + Option + R” keys to enter “Internet Recovery Mode.”
- Locate the “Disk Utility” option in the macOS Utilities window.Choose Disk Utility Option
- Click “See All Devices” from the “View” menu, then find your primary hard disk drive from the available list and select “Erase.”
- Now go to the “Partition” tab and give the new partition the name Macintosh HD, pick APFS as the format, and the “GUID Partition Map” option as the scheme, then click the “Apply” button.
- After you’ve completed the procedures above, quit the “Disk Utility” window and choose “Reinstall macOS” to reinstall macOS on your computer.
Solution 3: Use a bootable USB to reinstall macOS.
This problem may be resolved by installing macOS from a bootable USB drive. For a thorough method, follow the steps listed below:
- To begin, go to the Mac app store and download the “macOS High Sierra” beta install program. Now launch the app and wait for it to download macOS High Sierra.
- Connect the USB drive to your computer and rename it “HighSierra.”
- Now navigate to the “Finder” window, open the “Applications” folder and then find the “Utilities” folder. Locate the “Terminal” application and double-click on it.Click on Terminal Option
- In the Terminal app, enter the following command: For macOS High Sierra Public Beta:sudo /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia –volume /Volumes/HighSierra –applicationpath /Applications/Install macOS High Sierra Beta.app –nointeraction &&say Boot drive created
- Enter the admin password by pressing the Return key.
- After that, when asked, hit “Y” and then the “Return” button.
- The process of creating a bootable USB will begin right now. Wait for it to finish, then turn off your computer after the bootable USB has been made.
- Now, with the bootable USB plugged in, restart your PC and immediately select the “Option” button. Hold the Option button down until the Apple Menu appears in the foreground.
- Select the final option, Install macOS High Sierra, from the Apple menu.
- After the computer has loaded the next option, the macOS Utilities window will open in front of you. Select “Disk Utility” as the final option, then wipe the hard drive and create a new partition. Note: “Solution 1” has a detailed description of this process.
- Return to the macOS Utilities window and pick the “Install macOS” option from the list after the new partition has been formed.
Now, during the reinstallation process, follow the on-screen directions, and after a successful installation, your problem should be addressed.
Option 4: Modify the Mac Partition
A corrupt partition (Container 0) in the drives section might also cause this problem. This problem may be solved by changing the format. To resolve this problem, follow the steps below:
- The macOS Utilities window will display after hitting the “Command + R” keys at the same time.
- Navigate to the “Disk Utility” option and in the drive overview section, “Container 0” must be present. Delete this drive and after creating the new partition, format it as “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)”.Choose Disk Utility Option
- After completing the steps outlined above, close the “Disk Utility” window and choose “Reinstall macOS” to reinstall macOS on your computer.
If you are still unable to resolve the problem, please contact us for additional assistance.
Watch This Video-
The “could not create a preboot volume for apfs install reddit” is an issue that has been present for a while. This article will help you fix the problem.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why cant my Mac create a preboot volume for APFS install?
A: Because the preboot volume is not unique on macOS, and cant be used as an identifier for a specific APFS partition.
What is preboot Mac?
A: Preboot is a startup disk utility that creates an OS X recovery disk.
Whats the difference between APFS and Mac OS Extended?
A: Apples file system, called APFS is a replacement to the older Mac OS Extended format. It is an advanced file system that offers enhanced performance and disk space efficiency, such as improved snapshots in addition to standard journaling capabilities. Some other new features of this update include encrypted files on external drives or network shares and better data integrity across storage devices due to checksums.(1)
- could not create a preboot volume for apfs install catalina
- high sierra could not create a preboot volume for apfs install
- could not create a preboot volume for apfs install mojave
- the file preboot is located on the root of macintosh hd
- make apfs volume bootable